Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Perfect Antidote to a Grey and Dreary Day

It's been raining for two days straight here and the forecast calls for more of the same tomorrow.

After working on the farmhouse this morning, I came home, started a roaring fire in the woodstove,  and ate a bowl of homemade cheese tortellini minestrone soup.

Though the house gradually warmed and the chilliness departed my bones, I still needed something to cut the dreariness of the day.

Lately, my antidote to this sort of thing is lemon.

The fragrance is well-known in aromatherapy circles to be an uplifting mood enhancer. To me, it's like a ray of much-needed sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day.

Therefore, in this house, dishes are washed with lemon-scented dish soap.  Lemon Cookie candles--which are back in the Harmony Farm Candles Etsy shop!--are burned for a very happy pick-me-up.  Eggs are kept in this lemon-colored ceramic egg crate on the kitchen counter.

And today, the chosen grey-weather-antidote-in-the-form-of-lemon was Lemon Meltaway cookies.

Very minorly adapted from a recipe found on Pinterest, these cookies are a new favorite!

If you're familiar with meltaway cookies, or melting moments as I'd previously known them, they are pure magic in the mouth.

The ingredient list is short:  butter, flour, sugar and cornstarch.

And that last ingredient is what gives the cookies their delicious melting property.

Topped with a smear of lemon curd, I almost don't notice the pelting rain as it hammers the roof.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lemon Meltaway Cookies
adapted from Landee See, Landee Do's recipe
makes approximately 2 dozen cookies

1 cup of softened butter
3/4 cup of cornstarch
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon of lemon extract

Turn on oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  While the oven warms, cream butter until light and fluffy with a mixer. Next, beat in cornstarch and powdered sugar until smooth.  Add flour and mix until thoroughly combined.  Lastly, pour in lemon extract and mix until incorporated.

Drop teaspoon-sized balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Using the bottom of a small glass dipped in powdered sugar, gently press the cookies until flattened into discs.

Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Let sit on cookie sheet for 1 minute to begin cooling, then transfer cookies to a wire rack.

Top cookies with lemon curd and enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hope you're staying warm and dry this winter day,


  1. YUM!! I am especially fond of lemon kitchen soap. sorry it's so dreary over there. Looks like you are figuring out how to warm it up :)

  2. Yummy,yummy! they look sooooo good.

  3. I love lemon and those cookies look wonderful, Erin!

  4. the lemon candle is still burning in my house :) but thanks for not sharing these. I have an addiction to lemon curd and I don't want to start that up again ;)

  5. We gave my mom a Meyer Lemon three years ago, Erin, and it's happily blooming indoors right now--another pick-me-up for these cold winter days! Even lemon color makes me happy--yellow is my very favorite color :)

  6. Oh lord, i want those, but totally lactose intolerant. Love the idea of a good ole wood fire too, sounds nice at your house.
    It's snowing like crazy here !


  7. Sounds delicious! Love your blog! I am now following you. Great blog!
    Beth @ Life On Devils Hollow

  8. My mouth is watering just looking at them. Lemons are the perfect thing!

  9. Hi there!!

    Missing all your post! Sure Hope all is well!!!


Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.