Saturday, June 18, 2011

Union Oyster House Corn Bread

Happy weekend, everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello since it's going on two weeks since I last posted here...

The reason for that is that my husband and I snuck out of town--sans child--and went to Boston last Friday for six days.

Well, we didn't really sneak out because this had been planned months ago...but to have an adults-only trip felt a bit too good to be true until we were on our way!

My husband attended the National Fire Protection Association Conference and Expo for work (and picked up an award), and I got to come along to enjoy a little vacation.

I left the computer and camera at home, and it was six unplugged days of no rambunctious four-year-olds relaxation, sight-seeing, lots of reading and good eating.

The last full day of our stay, we walked a good part of the Freedom Trail and passed by the Union Oyster House on our way to the North End, a.k.a Little Italy.  We noticed the restaurant boasted itself to be the oldest continuously operated dining establishment the United States.

(source)

That piqued our interest, and the fact their specialty was seafood didn't hurt either, so we returned after completing the walk to have dinner.

Upon sitting down at our booth, the waitress arrived with four-inch thick slabs of cornbread.  I kid you not. It was amazingness on a plate!

I was absolutely starving after all the walking in the unseasonably cool weather, so the cornbread could've been made from a box of Jiffy and I wouldn't have cared. But it was worlds better than that!

It was warm, sweet, actually rather cake-like, and smoothed with a layer of Cabot Creamery butter, it was scrumptious and comforting.

The rest of the meal was immensely delicious as we shared an appetizer of Oysters Rockefeller, an entree of Lobster Newberg and sides of clam chowder and Boston baked beans.

However, that corn bread stuck in my mind even after returning home. Fortunately, this is such a popular item at the restaurant, it spawned a copy-cat recipe available at SecretRecipes.com. Score!

This evening, we hosted dinner to celebrate Father's Day with my father-in-law, and with the meal served a batch of the Union Oyster House's corn bread.

Num num!

The copy-cat recipe is spot-on, folks.  Couldn't have been better unless we were actually dining at the restaurant itself!

And now this is my go-to cornbread recipe, forever and always.

I'll be back later this week with photos of the pigs.  We've now had them two months and they're growing like weeds. Not surprising because they eat like, well, pigs! :)

Erin

5 comments:

  1. YUM!!! That looks SO delicious! Kid free trip to Boston, sign me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA!! congrats to hubs for his award! and yea!! for a vaca without child. LOL! Our first time away without kids, was a quick fishing trip to RI, during eater break, the day we were leaving to come home, was the day of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Oldest was 9, youngest was 5.

    I LOVE cornbread. We've never been to Boston, and have been talking a lot about it and also Salem, which we have been told numerous times to go in October.

    Bookbinders in Philadelphia I believe boasts being the 2nd oldest restaurant in the US, and they too specialize in seafood.

    I'll have to try the recipe. thanks for reminding me about one of the Topsecret or Copycat recipes sites. i used to go to them all the time.

    Glad you had a good time, sad you didn't take your camera :(

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how exciting for your husband...and for you!! Holidays without children are like gold dust round here so I can feel your excitement, girlie!!

    And WELL DONE on winning the Romantic Prairie book. You must have been thriiiiilled!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cornbread looks delicious. can't wait to try it.

    so happy to have found your lovely blog, and happy to be your newest follower.

    xo
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That looks more like CAKE! I love cornbread (live in Oregon now but I'm from Tennessee). Found your blog on Brenda's Cozy House blog and I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.